mercredi 15 juin 2011

Les choses qui me manquerai (the things I will to miss).

I will miss having friends with whom my only common language is charades.
I will miss speaking French every day.
I will miss making a fool of myself while trying to speak Arabic.
I will miss making a fool of myself while thinking I am trying to speak Arabic but am actually failing at speaking Berber.
I will miss everyday being a new adventure.
I will miss strangers inviting me to live with them.
I will miss having a half hour conversation every time I want to buy something.
I will miss the call to prayer.
I will miss riding in a taxi with five other people.
I will miss peoples readiness to like me.
I will miss strangers buying me soda on the bus because it is hot and I am a girl traveling alone.
I will miss eating with my hands.
I will miss the fresh sweetness of fruits and vegetables.
I will miss the colors of the souk.
I will miss being called "ma gazelle" by strangers.
I will miss the simplicity of an unprepackaged lifestyle.
I will miss squattie potties.
I will miss seeing the moon rise over the dunes of Merzouga.
I will miss playing pool on the kitchen table using only a broom handle and a bottle cap.
I will miss my friends here.
I will miss knowing that someone will want to help me no matter where I go.
I will miss the bright orange and yellow piles of spices in the madina.
I will miss walking by a whole cows head hanging by a butchers shop.

I will miss Morocco.
I will miss this place which has loved and tested me and has taught me to see myself and the world with open eyes.























1 commentaire:

  1. Thank you,
    I will miss your wonderful descriptions,
    and watching you blossom as you have.
    ... and I think some of what you think
    will miss will be with you forever in joy.
    thank you for sharing,
    Tony

    RépondreSupprimer